A devastating gas explosion at a coal mine in China’s northern Shanxi province has killed at least 82 people, local officials confirmed on Saturday, marking the country’s deadliest mining disaster in recent years.
The blast occurred on Friday evening at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi city, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.
Speaking at a press conference late Saturday, local authorities revised the death toll down to 82 from an earlier report of 90 published by state broadcaster CCTV. Officials explained that the immediate aftermath of the explosion was “chaotic,” meaning initial figures were not definitive. More than 120 people remain hospitalised, and two miners are still missing.
Rescue Hampered by Inaccurate Blueprints
Hundreds of emergency responders and medical personnel were deployed to the site as rescue operations continued through Saturday. CCTV reported that many of the hospitalised survivors are being treated for toxic gas inhalation.
One surviving miner, Wang Yong, described the terrifying moments leading up to the disaster from his hospital bed. He recalled smelling sulfur, akin to “firecrackers,” before smoke filled the shaft.
“I told people to run,” Mr Wang told CCTV. “As I ran, I saw people being choked by the smoke. And then I blacked out.”
Rescue efforts were significantly hindered because the structural blueprints provided by the mine’s management did not match the actual layout of the tunnels, according to state media.
‘Serious Violations’ Under Investigation
Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for an all-out effort to locate the missing miners, demanding a “thorough investigation” and strict accountability “in accordance with the law.”
In response, the State Council China’s Cabinet has dispatched an investigation team to conduct a “rigorous and uncompromising” probe into the incident. Local officials have already noted “serious violations” of safety laws by the operator, though they declined to elaborate on specific details. Senior executives responsible for the mining company have been “placed under control” by local law enforcement, according to the regional emergency management bureau.
The Liushenyu facility, operated by the Shanxi Tongzhou Coal & Coke Group, has an annual production capacity of 1.2 million tonnes. In 2024, the National Mine Safety Administration placed the site on a national register of disaster-prone mines due to its “high gas content.”
A Major Hub in China’s Energy Sector
Shanxi province is the bedrock of China’s heavy industry. Geographically larger than Greece and home to 34 million people, its workforce extracted 1.3 billion tonnes of coal last year alone accounting for nearly a third of the nation’s total output.
| Shanxi Province Mining Profile | Data |
| Annual Coal Production (Regional Total) | 1.3 billion tonnes |
| National Production Share | Approximately 33% |
| Liushenyu Mine Annual Capacity | 1.2 million tonnes |
| Liushenyu Safety Status (2024) | Registered as “disaster-prone” (high gas) |
While Beijing has rapidly accelerated its transition toward renewable energy, coal remains vital to the national grid due to its affordability and abundance. Despite stricter safety regulations implemented by authorities over the last decade, mining disasters remain a persistent issue.
This explosion represents the highest loss of life in the sector since February 2023, when an open-pit mine collapse in Inner Mongolia killed 53 people. China’s worst recent mining disaster occurred in November 2009, when a blast in northeastern Heilongjiang province claimed 108 lives.
Leave a comment