Foreign news

Exiled Vice President Emmerson Mnagngawa named as Mugabe’s Successor

Advertisement

They wrote on Twitter an hour ago, “Zimbabwe has not had a coup. There has been a decision to intervene because our constitution had been undermined, in the interim Comrade E Mnagngawa will be president of ZANU PF as per the constitution of our revolutionary organisation.

In a series of tweets, the ruling party went on to indicate that the action of the military has the backing of politicians in the country.

Advertisement

Zimbabwe has not had a coup. There has been a decision to intervene because our constitution had been undermined, in the interim Comrade E Mnagngawa will be president of ZANU PF as per the constitution of our revolutionary organisation.

“Last night the first family was detained and are safe, both for the constitution and the sanity of the nation this was necessary. Neither Zimbabwe nor ZANU are owned by Mugabe and his wife. Today begins a fresh new era and comrade Mnangagwa will help us achieve a better Zimbabwe

Advertisement

“There was no coup, only a bloodless transition which saw corrupt and crooked persons being arrested and an elderly man who had been taken advantage of by his wife being detained. The few bangs that were heard were from crooks who were resisting arrest, but they are now detained.

“ZANU PF has a way of solving our own problems, the situation is stable and Zimbabwe is open for business. There was no coup, but a bloodless peaceful transition- the centre is strong and there is peace with honest leadership.”

Zimbabwe’s army has however said it has President Robert Mugabe and his wife in custody and is securing government offices and patrolling the capital’s streets following a night of unrest that included a military takeover of the state broadcaster. The night’s action triggered speculation of a coup, but the military’s supporters praised it as a “bloodless correction”

“We wish to make it abundantly clear that this is not a military takeover,” Zimbabwe Major General SB Moyo, Chief of Staff Logistics, said on television.

“We are only targeting criminals around [Mr Mugabe] who are committing crimes that are causing social and economic suffering in the country in order to bring them to justice.

“As soon as we have accomplished our mission, we expect that the situation will return to normalcy.”

Neither Mr Mugabe nor his wife Grace, who has been vying to succeed her husband as president, have been seen or heard from.

At least three explosions were heard in the capital, Harare, overnight, and military vehicles were seen in the streets.

The US Embassy closed to the public on Wednesday and encouraged citizens to shelter in place, citing “the ongoing political uncertainty through the night.”

The British Embassy issued a similar warning, citing “reports of unusual military activity.”

Advertisement Delvs Services
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button